[Dixielandjazz] The Gig From Hell

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Aug 3 04:31:17 PDT 2006

Strange gigs? I have many to relate, but this tale of a gig gone wrong
is a "pistol."

   It was getting crowded under the piano. Half the band was already
there and the rest trying desperately to join them.
It was in the 1950's, a place called the Argentina Club in Pitsburg, CA
near Camp Stoneman. The band had been in the middleof a tune when we
heard a roar of anger from a well soused first sgt waving an ACP .45 in
the direction of the band. We didn't hear what he was shouting but we
all heard the first shot, hence the stampede for the dubious protection
of  the Steinway.
Others quickly subdued the sgt. and as we got out from under the piano
(and began to think about a change of shorts) the story was made clear.
   The sgt. was just back from Korea and heard his wife had been being
porked by the trumpet player in the house band while he was away
fighting for God and Country.
   What he failed to know was that the house band was off while our show
band came in for a two-week stand. But he looked at the band and saw a
trunpet player -- me  -- and unloaded one round our way, fortunately too
drunk to be accurate -- or I would not be telling you this story of the
Gig from Hell!
Don Ingle