[Dixielandjazz] Jass and Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 10:50:48 PDT 2006

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> Ever notice that when you try to type the word jazz, your fingers would
> rather type "jass"?  Or am I getting messages from beyond as to what we
> should call "our" music?

Perhaps a message from "beyond". :-) VBG

Nick LaRocca formed ODJB in Chicago after Johnny Stein's Band from Dixieland
broke up (he was Stein's trumpeter). After their stint in Chicago, ODJB went
to the Paradise Ballroom, part of the Reisenweber complex.  NYC. Posters
about ODJB using the wowrd "Jass" were placed out and about by Reisenweber's

According to LaRocca, small boys were then seen scurrying about the streets
scratching the "J" out, leaving "ass". And so, Reisenweber's marketing
people changed the word to jasz, put out new posters.  Then a huge neon sign
in front of the venue that read - "The Original Dixieland Jazz Band - The
Creators of Jazz."  Jass, to Jasz, to Jazz.

They also took out newspaper ads reading: "An overnight furore - The fad of
the hour." First with "Jasz", and then with "Jazz". etc., etc.

And so "Jazz" became popular in spite of the negativity of Jean Goldkette
who quit in protest as a member of the the alternate band in Chicago to such
awful music and editorial in "Variety" which reported: "It's what would be
called stewed music, for you have to be that way to like it."

My how times have changed. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone