[Dixielandjazz] This Day In History..Al Hirt

patcooke77 at yahoo.com patcooke77 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 08:46:16 PDT 2006

Back in the late 40's I played a daily local (New Orleans) radio show in the "WTPS Trio".  It consisted of Ogden Lafaye on piano, Al Hirt, and myself on bass. At that time Al was at his peak.....his technique and range were dazzling.  After a few years, his health began to deteriorate.  His playing began to suffer and gradually deteriorated also.  His later recordings lost a lot of the spark and excitement that his earlier recordings had, but Al continued to perform.
,     I saw his last performance about a week or so before he died.  He had to be helped onto the stage, and helped onto a stool.  How can I say this kindly?  I don't know, but I will try.  His playing was nothing like anything I had heard in his entire career.  It was pitiful.  I felt so bad for him, I nearly cried.  I was relieved when the set was over.  I had known Al for so many years, even used to go fishing with him.
     At his funeral, a TV truck was there expecting large crowds, and extra police to direct traffic; but they had an easy job.  I had no problem parking.....traffic was not a problem.  I saw lots of musicians, show people, and his family.  A smal dixie group played softly in a corner of the room.  When the casket was moved to the chapel, some of his more popular recordings played softly on the PA system.  There were a few words by members of his family, and a eulogy by the Archbishop.  After the service, the recordings resumed....I remember "Man With A Horn" as we said our goodnights.

  sadly,
   Pat Cooke
   New Orleans