[Dixielandjazz] Dave Bargeron live with Jaco in Japan - 1982

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Apr 28 08:29:38 PDT 2006

Hi yall,

Sure, I am a big fan of Eli, Rick, Dave, Dan, Westy, Red and others.
But, the tuba players that really rock my boat more than anyone are
those in Gravity -- Howard Johnson, Dave Bargeron, Bob Stewart, Earl
McIntyre, etc...  I still believe the definitive "Funky Tuba Solo" was
played by Dave Bargeron in 1972 when he was trombone man with Blood,
Sweat and Tears.  You can hear it on their "Live and Improvised" album
(now on double CD).  Many argue with me, but I haven't heard anyone --
not even Dave -- touch that solo since.

Yet, I stumbled on a video of Mr. Bargeron live with the Jaco Pastorious
Big Band in Japan in 1982 that isn't too shabby.  Ok, many of you won't
like this, but it is definitely MKOM.  For my money, he is one of the
best -- ever.  Note on the slow intro, he sings and plays at the same
time.  The tune is Donna Lee (which may turn many of you away right here).

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrN-y8peKM

Enjoy the vid.

All the best, Gary