[Dixielandjazz] French Quarter Festival, New Orleans

BettyLynch at aol.com BettyLynch at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 20:31:26 PDT 2006

French Quarter Festival in New Orleans was  great.  The city still has its
spirit, and is coming back; slowly perhaps,  but definitely, and the people want
it to!  They still need all the help they can get, so keep it  coming!

We last visited this festival in 20o00, and many  places we remember on
Bourbon Street are closed, but many are open and making  the usual blasting noise
(but the jazz stages overcame that).  We spent  most of our time at the
International stage, and enjoyed every set, and also got  to Jackson Square to hear
more modern NO sounds, and Brass Bands, eat  po'boys and crawfish.

Of course, we got to Fritzl's to hear the wonderful  Jaque Gauthe and his
talented cohorts, and the Palm Court for Nina Buck's  wonderful food and a couple
of great bands, one of the led by sometimes DJML  contributor Brian Tower
with his wife Janet Shaw.  Nina, herself is a great  MC, and really wants YOU
(and me) to support the recovery.

We ate at other fine restaurants, but of gut, not  musical interest -
K-Pauls, Bayona and Galatoire's. We met Brian Towers and  Rebecca from Flower Mound,
TX, but didn't see any other DJML badges, except in a  mirror.  We also stayed
in a really nice hotel on Toulouse, a block from  Bourbon, but we ain't gonna
tell you which one.

The Jazz & Heritage is coming; don't just sit  there "Do Something" - musical
interest.

Gene & Betty Lynch
Redondo Beach, CA