[Dixielandjazz] William P. Gottlieb - Jazz Photographer

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 25 13:09:58 PDT 2006

"Norman Vickers" <nvickers1 at cox.net> posted about William Gottlieb's death.

Thanks for that post Norman. I have a 30 x 24 inch color photograph he took
on my office wall. It is of 52nd Street, NYC, on a rainy night in 1948. All
those beautiful jazz night club signs are visible along with the rainy
reflection of their lights on "the street", packed full of parked cars.

Among those club signs are Tony's, Onyx, Jimmy Ryan's, Harry the Hipster,
Leon & Eddies and then across the street are 3 Deuces, Club Carousel, B.S.
Pully, Club Samoa, Famous Door, all crammed in right next to each other.

Some signs include the performing musicians that night, Art Tatum, Erroll
Garner, J.C. Heard, Oscar Pettiford and the Cadillac parked askew in front
of Ryan's looks like Bechet's, but who knows.

The photo was published by The Jazz Store and has to be one of the last
"Jazz" photos Gottlieb took. A real beauty as well as a trip back in time to
when jazz was so vital.

Those were the days as any of us who were in New York back then will verify.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone