[Dixielandjazz] Photoscore

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 12:43:06 PDT 2006

Hello Larry,

Although I don't have this program myself, my trombone player, Todd does and
I can share some of our experiences with it.
I had acquired some old march and concert music for our town band which was
missing some bassoon, bass clarinet and tenor parts. I asked Todd if he could
scan some related parts into Sibelius and make the needed parts. (For example,
T-bone to tenor or bass to bassoon and bass clarinet.) The main problem was
that the charts were quite old and somewhat faded. This caused Photoscore to
read some of the notes incorrectly. Thus, it was garbage in and garbage out.
The basic process was relatively easy, but the obviously needed corrections
took forever to ferret out and I'm sure we will find more as we work on these
pieces with the whole band.
However, if your originals are fresh and clearly printed, you shouldn't have
any real problems with this.

Regards,

Gus Bloch