[Dixielandjazz] Good News From Victoria, British Columbia

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 18:49:58 PDT 2006

Below was snipped for brevity but is has some great news. See paragraph 4
below. We might deny the fact that young people like OKOM, but there are
many bands and a few festivals that not only don't agree, but are
specifically targeting the young audience. Quite successfully.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Hot jazz jubilee arrives

By Jeanine Soodeen Victoria News Apr 21 2006

The Victoria Hot Jazz Jubilee, hosted by the Van Isle Live Music
Preservation Society, began last night and continues through the weekend at
the Fairmont Empress, Harbour Towers, Hermann's Jazz Club, Central Bar &
Grill, Bedford Regency Hotel and Edelweiss Club.

Different styles of jazz music will be played each day and evening, offering
audiences opportunities to sit and listen or jump and jive to swing, big
band, boogie woogie, ragtime, dixieland, traditional jazz and gospel
performed live by professional musicians.

"All the bands are in great demand throughout North America. We have lots of
local talent. There are so many kinds of jazz, music from the '20s, '30s and
'40s," said Leslea Kent, festival director. Kent noted these styles of jazz,
which originated on the colourful streets of New Orleans, have lasted
generations and appeal to all ages. "We just got e-mail from someone in
Iowa. There are people coming Florida, Australia. I know four Brits who are
coming. Nearly 60 are coming from Edmonton," Kent said. "One of the biggest
factors that contributes to our festival success is this is Victoria. Jazz
is a bonus for them."

A resurgence in jazz in recent years has reached the young, specifically the
fast-paced, energetic swing, big band, boogie woogie tunes. Young people
want to both play the music and jump up and jive to it. Kent said
Chilliwack's 51st Eight, made up of youth musicians, is one of the hottest
bands on the circuit and the only Canadian youth band invited to the
renowned Sacramento Jubilee.

The Victoria festival, in its second year, started small and is building on
the previous success and need to fill a demand. Another venue has been added
this year, as well as a shuttle service. "The big point is the tickets.
There are 16 bands and you can just keep going. You can follow a band, or
stay at one venue," Kent said.