[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Free.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 06:46:45 PDT 2006

While many OKOM bands play for nothing, it seems as if some other bands
actually pay for the "privilege of playing".

Lately what we find here in some of the popular "kids" nightclubs is
Rock/Hip Hop/Rap Bands paying to play. Owners of these joints have figured
out that just about all amateur musicians will either play for nothing or
pay to play in a venue where they can be seen/heard. Some of these bands
compete with each other by raising their payment to the clubs.

We old folks may not have have passed the torch of musical appreciation, but
we sure as hell passed the torch of how to give music away. How very sad.

Club  Owner's reaction? "What, are you an idiot? Do you actually expect to
be paid to play music?"

Cheers,
Steve