[Dixielandjazz] Musicians Stamina was Musicians Pay

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 18 20:03:23 PDT 2006

Tom Wood,  zenith at ans.com.au wrote: (polite snip)

> Hi Steve,
>
> Just arranged three gigs in one day overseas,
> "do we have the stamina" a previous band player once said to me!  She'll be
> right mate; I replied and played with a new guy who had the energy.

Hi Tom:

I still do doubles too, last one on New Years Eve. But haven't done a triple
since I passed my 70th birthday 2 years ago. Just before that birthday, I
did 12 hours of playing and drove 200 miles during a triple. But then, I'm a
clarinet player who likes to drive for relaxation.

Nothing like lots of gigs to keep your chops in shape. During the dream time
in the 1950s when the band I was in worked 6 nights a week in summer, we
could play almost non stop for all our waking hours. It was wine, women and
song. We were jazz zombies in every sense of the word by September. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone