[Dixielandjazz] Re: Johnny Mercer story.

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 10:20:08 PDT 2006

Even more reason to take it to the young audiences over and over until
they start to get it :))
If we don't we can't really expect the Rolling Stones and Rappers to do
it can we ???   At least not till their record producers see money in
it .   Like we always keep saying folks it's simply a NUMBERS GAME IN
THE BUSINESS SIDE OF MUSIC.

We have a few generations of youngsters who do not know the difference
between Love and Sex  much less having both at the same time or even
one without the other most simply think Sex is Love and have the cart
way out in front of the horse trying to avoid stepping in any horse
S%$#.   I suppose they all learned that in the back seats of the
station wagons of America because their parents ignored the basic sex
education necessary to teach them the differences no matter how subtle
they might be.

The music and lyrics of today reflect directly upon the sex education
these generations have had, and the mostly lost ART OF ROMANCE.
HOW DO WE GET THEM BACK TO ART FOR Art's Sake on this matter ?  :))

Wow!! do I sound like an old fuddy duddy or what? can't  believe this
old rocker said that, especially when I got my sex education in the
back seat of a 52 Mercury :))    I did get that famous educational talk
about it from my Dad the night before I got married however, I did not
want to embarrass him any further, so I did not bother to tell him that
I had been pollenating birds and bees for several years and he was far
too late as I had probably learned more than he had about the subject.
  After all I already had that disease of being a musician and we all
know where and how that leads youth astray into Jazz, Booze, drugs and
Sexual behavior, and it was happening long before these kids invented
Rock & Roll.

I do also recall hearing some Johnny Mercer songs in the Mercury too
:))  And Johnny Mathis, has a reputation of having caused more ladies
to become pregnant than anybody else just singing on the radio.
hummpppf !!

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

  In a way that has happened to me. I now mostly play music that is the
music of a full generation behind me. I just don't enjoy "new pop"
music. The great thing is that there are hundreds of tunes out there
just waiting to be discovered again and are now new at least to me. The
best thing is that people pay me to do it.
 Larry Walton
 St. Louis