[Dixielandjazz] Fw: send email

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Apr 17 08:16:21 PDT 2006

Ron - Thanks for the letter
Personally I have become so tired of guitar guys and a drummer I just turn
off  when I hear it.  Actually that's saying a lot because I even listen to
elevator music.  As has been said before there is a steady decline in Pop
Music.  The themes have always revolved around love but we passed lust ten
years ago and are now into behavior about like dogs in heat.

The chordal structure of tunes has gone from complicated and difficult to
none.  Never mind the three chord ditties of the 50's that everyone lamented
then.  Today more than one chord would be nice.

Some day chord patterns like blues will be taught in universities much like
Baroque counterpoint is taught.  Quaint but not relevant.  I can just hear
them now.  What do we need to learn that crap for because we don't even use
those things called chords and who needs them anyway.

I was sitting next to a car last summer and the rap thing that was playing
had only one audible word F***.

I know I sound like some old white guy griping about the young people going
to hell in a hand basket but it seems to be true at least in the music.

Fortunately we have recorded and printed music.  Some day it is hoped that
musicians will re discover music and they will have something to base their
"new" music on.

In a way that has happened to me.  I now mostly play music that is the music
of a full generation behind me. I just don't enjoy "new pop" music.  The
great thing is that there are hundreds of tunes out there just waiting to be
discovered again and are now new at least to me.  The best thing is that
people pay me to do it.
Larry Walton
St. Louis