[Dixielandjazz] Marian McPartland

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 19:15:28 PDT 2006

Steve B. wrote:

    He is performing at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester NY on
    May 12 . That venue has MONSTERS performing, such as bassist Rufus Reid,
    Trombonist Slide Hampton, pianist Marian McPartland, and a host of other
    jazz masters that many of us may have never heard of. Eastman has a MAJOR
    JAZZ PROGRAM in place.

Whenever I see her name (Marian McPartland) mentioned, I think back to that night at
the Savoy, on Massachusetts Avenue, in Boston, some time in  the 50's, when I (a
college student),  a regular (under-age, but served nevertheless) patron for OKOM
groups there, heard Jimmy McPartand say "I'd like to introduce my new wife, from
England, Marian Page McPartland", and the house gave her a rousing welcome.

If only we had a Savoy today, and musos to play there. Especially, now that I am a legal
drinker (although it never stopped me then).

Larry S.