[Dixielandjazz] Archie Shepp

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 18:25:31 PDT 2006

Brian Harvey asked if Archie Shepp was for real. :-) VBG

Well, many don't like the music he plays. Here is his bio. It doesn't
mention the things he did with Roswell Rudd after Rudd left Eli's Chosen Six
Dixieland Band at Yale. Both he and Rudd went on to more esoteric music with
Cecil Taylor in 1960. Music some adore, while others (Branford Marsalis)
describe it as bullshit in Ab. Not OKOM, but then I get a kick out of
listening to it every once in a while to hear what he is doing. But then, I
knew him and Roswell Rudd in those carefree days of 1960 in New York City.
Yes, it is jazz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Archie Shepp is a New York City native and alumnus of Goddard College.
Archie started playing jazz in the early 60's and continues to dazzle
audiences around the world playing tenor saxophone and piano, accompanied by
his soulful voice. Currently residing in Massachusetts, he teaches music
history as a professor at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Archie
has collaborated with Cecil Taylor, John Coltrane and Yusef Lateef, as well
as countless other jazz greats. Mr Shepp received the distinguished New
England Foundation for the Arts Achievement in Music Award in 1995. The
following is an exerpt from Scott Cashman during the award presentation:

"Archie Shepp really began his career as a professional musician when Cecil
Taylor gave him an opportunity to join his group in 1960. John Coltrane's
appreciation of his artistry led to Shepp's recording contract with
Impulse!. Throughout the 1960s he participated in a collective innovation
which introduced a new set of possibilities for African American music.
Known as either "Free Jazz" or "Avant-Garde Jazz" this music spoke to a
generation not content with the status quo in terms of music and social
equality. As a spokesperson for this new music Shepp proved to be
intelligent, educated, forceful and controversial. Through it all, in his
music, spoken and written words, and non-musical jobs, he was a forceful
advocate for equality and justice.

Beginning in the 1970s Archie Shepp began to experiment with the various
forms of his African American musical heritage. Mainstream jazz, traditional
spirituals and blues, and original compositions were explored in settings
ranging from duos to his Attica Blues Big Band.

Today, in addition to being a master of the tenor saxophone, I believe that
through his performances he has become one of the most profound bluesmen on
the scene. I don't have to wait for his old age to proclaim my belief that
he is one of our national treasures."