[Dixielandjazz] Playing in the Army Band

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Apr 13 10:47:52 PDT 2006

Thought some of you guys might enjoy this:   Feel free to answer the
guy if you want.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

has anyone had experience playing in the army band (san rafael)
Reply to: comm-150867464 at craigslist.org
Date: 2006-04-13, 9:31AM PDT

i'm curious about the army bands and am gonna audition soon...seems
like a very good gig, good pay, travel etc..anyone ever been in it..any
experiences let me know..thanks!

RE: has anyone had experience playing in the army band

Reply to: comm-150878130 at craigslist.org
Date: 2006-04-13, 10:02AM PDT

It is a good opportunity if you can pass the audition, my guess is that
it's not hard to get in these days ;)
  I was offered a drumming position in the Marines Jazz Band, but passed
on it at the last minute after talking with a couple guys. You're in
for four years, so make sure it's what you want to do. Also, just
because you're in the band doesn't mean you won't get called to serve
active duty... in case that' a concern. The Recruiters will say you
won't when trying to recruit you, but from guys I've talked to who have
played, they said the Recruiters have no say/idea on who goes active.
Just a heads up on that.
  But it would be a good experience to travel and play with some steller
musicians... good luck.

 -- original text --
  >> i'm curious about the army bands and am gonna audition soon...seems
like a
 >> very good gig, good pay, travel etc..anyone ever been in it..any
 >> experiences let me know..thanks!

Re: has anyone had experience playing in the army band (concord /
pleasant hill / martinez)
Reply to: comm-150884211 at craigslist.org
Date: 2006-04-13, 10:18AM PDT

I've heard it is an awesome gig, full army pay, no chance for active
duty, the army buys you pretty much whatever gear you want, practice
all day with some of the best musicians in the country in a competitive
environment. An older guy I know was in the army band in the 1980's,
they'd split up into small 3 piece combos on their evening leaves and
go play jazz/fusion casuals for $500-$600, head back to the base and
get up and practice with each other, then go play some of the most
prestigious gigs in the world as the US Army Band. That environment
will turn great players into the best in the world quick.

  The bad news is that you have to audition against some of the best
players in the country to get in... The worse news is that you have to
enlist BEFORE you audition. If you blow the audition your axe goes poof
and you get an M16, a buzzcut and a one-way ticket to Iraq.

  I would think very carfully about what I was doing before I leased my
body to the US Army. The recruiter is the guy who is supposed to make
you feel good about joining the army. He can tell you whatever you want
to hear, but once you sign up, you are owned by the US Army and they
can assign you wherever they want to put you, not where you want them
to put you.

  That said, my friend said it was like being a rock star, playing with
the best musicians in the country, being well paid and housed, being
able to pick up casuals at any time for top flight pay, traveling all
over the world, excellent benefits and retirement.

  It could be worth the risk. I'd just watch out if the recruiter never
heard you play before you sign (literally) your life away.