[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz tunes written in response to the Scopes Trial?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 12 17:34:26 PDT 2006

Dear Ed,
"You're Bound To Look Like A Monkey When You Grow Old" goes back a lot
further than the 10 Sept 1940 Bob Crosby Bob Cat's version. As you know.
It was composed by Clarence Williams and Alex Hill and copyrighted in April
1930.
Clarence Williams' Novelty Band recorded it on 22 May 1930 with Cecil Scott,
c; Herman Chittison, p; Ikey Robinson, bj; Clarence Williams, jug/vcl.
Currently available on CD.
Clarence Williams and His Orchestra did it again on 24 Nov 1930, but it was
never issued.
The song was also recorded by the Birmingham Serenaders (not a Cl. Wiliams
group) on 1 Feb 1935.
Based on the lyrics, I suspect that this composition has no connection to
the 1925 Snopes 'Monkey Trial".
The 1960 Spencer Tracy, Fredric March film 'Inherit The Wind' (based on the
Snopes' court case) was shown on cable here last week. Great stuff.
A piece of trivia I read once said the this fine Stanley Kramer film used
great slabs of original dialogue between Darrow and Bryan, transcribed from
the original 1925 broadcasts.
I will keep a look-out for the History Channel presentation, as it will
certainly turn up here, sometime.
I like Norm's interesting idea for this thread, and will put my thinking cap
on.
Kind regards,
Bill.