[Dixielandjazz] Bob Newman, Don Goldie and the Sacto Fest

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 17:45:49 PDT 2006

Date:  Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:25:40 -0700
From: "Robert Newman"  <bobngaye at surewest.net>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Don Goldie
Later  in that Jubilee we, the Fulton Street Jazz Band,  had a set in a venue
in  the K-Steet Mall nearby.   Just at the start of that set, who should
march in with their horns and broad grins,  Don Goldie, Wild Bill  Davison, and
Tommy Saunders!    Our trumpeter / leader Dean Nelson  was thrilled.   So Mike
Starr, our trombonist, and I dove off the  stand to make musical and acreage
space for the impending Trumpet  Summit.    What a blast!
Years later we heard that Goldie was  suffering from the ravages of diabetes
including the loss of a leg and had  committed suicide.   I've never seen this
confirmed.    There is a short biography and discography in the following
website  http://www.univox.com/radio/goldie.html#discog.    It gives his  years
as 1930 to 1995.    It does not state the cause of  death.
Bob

Hi Bob:
I remember that year too.  Don came and sat in with my band a couple  of
times.  What a joy he was to play with!!!!!
Yes, he had diabetes and was about to be put on dialysis because his  kidneys
were shutting down, aside from everything else.  When I talked to  him in the
hospital, he was really obviously depressed and we talked about my  coming to
visit him.   I couldn't believe when they released him early  because they
"needed the space."  I actually called the hospital and  complained to them and
asked why he was let out, when he was not in good mental  condition.  They had
no excuse.  He literally went home and then shot  himself.
I was crushed at the time.  I still think of him a lot!
Mike Vax