[Dixielandjazz] Don Goldie

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Tue Apr 11 16:25:40 PDT 2006

Many years ago at the Sacramento Jubilee I had the great honor and pleasure to play clarinet in a pickup group consisting of Goldie on cornet,  Rex Allen on trombone,  Norma Teagarden on piano,  I think Warren Sauer on drums and Steve Comber on bass.    We were on the reviewing stand at the opening parade in Old Sacramento.     A memorable experience.

Later in that Jubilee we, the Fulton Street Jazz Band,  had a set in a venue in the K-Steet Mall nearby.   Just at the start of that set, who should march in with their horns and broad grins,  Don Goldie, Wild Bill Davison, and Tommy Saunders!    Our trumpeter / leader Dean Nelson was thrilled.   So Mike Starr, our trombonist, and I dove off the stand to make musical and acreage space for the impending Trumpet Summit.    What a blast!

Years later we heard that Goldie was suffering from the ravages of diabetes including the loss of a leg and had committed suicide.   I've never seen this confirmed.   There is a short biography and discography in the following website http://www.univox.com/radio/goldie.html#discog.    It gives his years as 1930 to 1995.    It does not state the cause of death.

Bob