[Dixielandjazz] Don Goldie

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Tue Apr 11 13:59:15 PDT 2006

I've heard an EP-record (4 tracks for the oldies like me) and was
overwhelmed with the playing of Don. He plays a solo in the war
horse Tin Roof Blues, that is unbelievable.
In the eighties, when I was playing at the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee
I found out Don was playing in a tent opposite where I was playing.
I went to this tent, sat down in the audience to listnen an was spotted
by Don. He introduced me to the audience as the .... Dutch trumpet
player (I put ...... because the words were too friendly) We played
two duets: black and blue and Someday you'll be sorry. I was
bewildered by his technique and original improvisation.
Thought by myself, o.k. now I know I'm a capable and
mediocre trumpet player, because I've heard the real thing.
I knew about his reputation. After the set he came to me and
said, I quote: "You're the first trumpet player that can stand in the shadow
of Louis". I laughed and waved his remark in shyness. Of course he was
being kind to a foreigner, I thought. May be I was right, but I still
cherish
the words of one of the truly greats: Don Goldie.
Golden memories.

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl