[Dixielandjazz] Playing on the streets

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 11:26:03 PDT 2006

That's not what I said at all Bert:

What I said was, that if the Union had done this kind of marketing and
promotion for its members years ago many of it's members would still be
working today and or know how to go get a gig in the first place.
When was the last time you had a UNION REP do anything for you that
made you any money ?   Just who are they Representing  you to?   They
lost 90% of their influence decades ago in most markets.   I can recall
watching the Union shut down music in clubs as fast as musicians could
get one opened, and then watched for years as the Local in San
Francisco had a 96% unemployment rate of it's membership.

Did it stop live music, no but it shifted the market far from anything
close to union representation, and much of it for the better for really
GOOD acts who demanded and made far more than Union Scale anyway as
they made a name and reputation for themselves as Better Bands and
professional entertainers and musicians.     Entertainers make a good
living in this business, and  many musicians simply starve to death
sitting around wishing they could be paid what Entertainers make and
yes even mediocre Entertainers at that.

The Local here used to send us out to "AUDITION" for gigs  for Free
usually to non union clubs in the hopes that we would score a gig there
and pay them work dues on it and allow them to say they created another
UNION GIG.

I clearly stated that you should negotiate with the Mall manager to try
and get a Paid gig first, but if that does not work at first do not be
afraid to take a shot at promoting yourself and playing there and
selling Cds and showing them that indeed it is a good idea for
everybody's business.    In fact if an act did that a couple of times
and proved they were good and would attract business to the mall, the
act could then ask for a reasonable fee for coming back and if the Mall
did not agree they could go to a competing Mall and start it again.
If any band does not have a following or any name value at all then
they are not going to  be able to prove to anybody that they are worth
much.

Having some talent and being able to play an instrument does not
entitle anybody to make a living with it.   You would think that most
musos who have been sitting around waiting for that to happen for the
past forty odd years would have figured it out by now.   Competition is
tough boys and girls, you gotta go promote yourself shamelessly and
expose your self to audiences in large enough numbers to create more
interest in your band which should be a BUSINESS.    An individual
musician on the other hand who is not a business person or running a
band as a Business is technically on the same par as a guy walking into
McDonalds looking for gig as a Burger Flipper.   Or a Waitress looking
for a job in a Bar.   Ya gotta decide if you are going to be a Business
or a hired hand.

There are still 365 days in a year and every day that you don't have a
gig is a day you have no income as a musician, therefore what I am
advocating is that on those days that you don't have a solid gig, get
off you butts and go make one if you really want one.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins