[Dixielandjazz] wandering minstrels

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 9 11:04:45 PDT 2006

That may be true but when I was in Ecuador the AF band just about took over
a small resort for a weekend and the staff of the hotel who had been
sweeping and changing bed linens and serving tables all performed.  They
were kick ass performers too.  Those guys played really well and if they
only knew a dozen songs then they did them very well.  Most played flutes,
pan pipes and ocarinas and they also had two guitars a Bass and drum set.
They had quite a show and equal to any I have seen here.

I was struck by the diaphragm movement of the flute players.  It was huge
and the sound they got was really good and quite loud.  They definitely were
playing to the back row and this was all at 9,000 feet.  We were having
trouble keeping our instruments sounding at that altitude but these guys
lived there their whole lives and could really pump air.

Maybe we fell into the middle of the Andes music robot factory.

I could just imagine what would happen if a resort hired a band in this
country and said oh by the way you have to sweep the place and bus tables
too.  They seemed to have a whole different attitude toward work and music.
I'm not saying that using people this way is good but it's different.
Larry Walton
St. Louis