[Dixielandjazz] Re: Transfering 78s -- Correcting the pitch

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 8 16:52:46 PDT 2006

     It's true that Sound Studio will allow one to correct the pitch
of a passage, but doing so also changes the tempo: "Both pitch and
duration are simultaneously changed, and one quality cannot be
changed independently of the other."
     Well, there is an application that will allow you to change the
pitch without changing the tempo (and my understanding of this still
flits in and mostly out of my attention): the "Amazing Slow Downer"
(http://www.ronimusic.com/): " The main product is the Amazing Slow
Downer software, intended for musicians wanting to slow down music
without changing the pitch. Amazing Slow Downer is available for Mac
and Windows computers."  I have it and have used it, and it works.
(It's so reassuring for complex machinery to work without my having
to believe in them, like heavier-than-air craft and this product.  As
Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic.")

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
**      than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain