FW: [Dixielandjazz] Re: dat?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Apr 7 12:52:56 PDT 2006

Larry wrote:
Its (Di)gital (A)udio (T)ape recorder.  Some use VCR tapes and can record
multiple tracks.  Great but usually too bulky to take on a gig.  They are
strictly studio machines however they do make small portable units but I
haven't seen any for quite awhile.

Right, but wrong, Larry.  Firstly, the DAT recorders were supposed to be for
domestic use, but ended up being a professional tool, as they didn't take
off domestically.  You won't find any domestic machines in the shops now.
Dat tapes are very small, and can be as long as 2 hrs, with no difference in
thickness of tape than the shorter 15 min tapes.  The portable Dat recorders
(with SMPTE time code to sync up to film & video cameras) put an end to the
open reel two track machines used for ads & film work.  DAT is still the
main equipment used.  Most Spanish films are done on DAT tapes I sell to the
film guys (24 hr service!).

DAT in the studios was & is used as a mastering, finished product tool,
although other formats now are being used such as CDR (not a better medium).

I have some 13 Dat recorders on my prof. rental gear list. An excellent
format, and impossible to erase once recorded.  I once put a tape in a
professional magnetic eraser machine, and nothing happened to the audio!

I also have TASCAM DA88 multitrack machines that use Hi8 tapes that are
about the size of 2 DAT tapes.  I have Alesis multitrack machines that use
VCR tapes to record 8 tracks digitally.  All these can be linked with other
machines to create up to 64 tracks.  Sometimes they are used to record film
on 8 tracks.  The audio can be digitally transferred to a digital hard disk
& digital console.

All of these items are really for the pros.

Jim
www.kashprod.com
Click on the English flag to learn more, if interested.