[Dixielandjazz] Re: dat?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Apr 7 12:07:25 PDT 2006

Its (Di)gital (A)udio (T)ape recorder.  Some use VCR tapes and can record multiple tracks.  Great but usually too bulky to take on a gig.  They are strictly studio machines however they do make small portable units but I haven't seen any for quite awhile.  The AF gave some of their musicians a DAT about 10 years ago.  They were small and portable.

If you want small and portable you might try some of the new equipment coming out.  I have a Sony Walkman mini disk recorder that does a pretty good (not perfect) job and it's about the size of a Klondike Bar. There are other recorders that uses other media for recording that are fairly inexpensive.  My Sony will record for an hour and 15 minutes, uses one AA battery with really good quality.  I am using a Sony stereo mike which isn't the one that came with it.  My only gripe is that it's automatic volume control leaves something to be desired but with some experimentation and an inexpensive mixer you should be able to get great recordings with it.  You must also isolate the mike from the recorder or you get motor noise.  Two weeks ago I recorded from a school desk (high school music contest) and sat my felt hat on the desk with the mike resting in the hat crown.  It worked great.  I use a direct audio patch to transfer the audio into my computer for editing. The sound that it doesn't like much is the tambourine but for you cowbell fans it's great.

Go to www.musiciansfriend.com  for reviews on various recorders.
Larry
St. Louis