[Dixielandjazz] CD burning in proper key

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Thu Apr 6 13:48:11 PDT 2006

Hello Jim

Thanks for your warning about using minidiscs for making backup copies of
jazz from other media. It's a risk I'm prepared to take, having had problems
with previous methods. My first attempt was to record all my 78's onto
reel-to-reel, and this worked fine. However my tape recorder (a Tandberg
bought in 1974) still works well on playback, but refuses to operate on
Fast-Forward and Rewind which means I have to help it along with a pencil
and some fancy wristwork. I've tried using a battery-operated drill but this
is difficult to hold on the tape spindles. My next step was cassettes, but
here there were problems with different speeds on different cassette
players. So I began with CD's, but here I had to get it right first time,
and I was plagued with a faulty CD burner in the beginning. So now it's
minidiscs, and hopefully I shall corner enough minidiscs for future
requirements. However my hobby room is now cluttered with a tape recorder, a
rack-mounted stereo, a two-speed turntable, a 78 turntable, a large
CD-player, and a PC. The minidisc player is fairly inconspicuous, but is my
present pride and joy.

You named the Spanish dialling tone being concert pitch A. This is also the
case here in Norway. Many years ago while living in England the British
Broadcasting Corporation better known as the BBC used to play these three
notes B-B-C when there were any short pauses, I don't know if they still do.

Bob Smith