[Dixielandjazz] European Band not playing in America / American Bands not playing in America

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 6 11:48:27 PDT 2006

"Judy Eames" <jude at judyeames.co.uk> wrote (polite snip)

> Steve Barbone asked why a European band wasn't playing in  America.

Actually, that's not what I asked. I asked why an American Band, made up of
New Orleans musicians was successfully touring Europe and NOT touring in
their own home country, given all of the OKOM Festivals we have over here
and the declared wish of many Americans to help New Orleans musicians.

I suspect they do not tour here because:

1) They were not asked to do so. or

2) They get better pay in Europe. or

3) We Americans pay a lot of lip service to helping New Orleans musicians
   but the idea of actually hiring them to play seems somehow not to have
   occurred to many of the music mavens in the US of A.

Other than that, I sympathize with the travel problems of Europeans and
others trying to enter and play some gigs here. But as others have said,
there are many ways to get it done. Last month, for example, New York City
had a large contingent of Italian Jazz Musicians gigging there. etc.

Cheers,
Steve