[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rampart Street Parade, lyrics

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 2 17:47:47 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Bill Haesler from Sydney writes:

>I found that Steve Allen link, but you have to buy the book to get the
>lyrics!

Not necessarily. We used to do the song a ba-zillion years ago and I still
remember most, if not all, of the lyrics.

They're right here:

Do you hear the beat
Away down the street
Do you hear the neat little rhythm of the happy dancing feet.

Well look now the people are a comin’
And right now we're gonna have a lot of fun.
Make way cause everybody's comin'
And you'll see a big parade.

Hey boy, listen to the clarinet
(something)
Your feet are really gonna palpitate
When they go marching around.

Marchin’ around, wonderful sound
I hear the rat-a-tat-tat
I love to hear the way the drummer does that
Oh what a glorious day - outa my way!
Make room and give me some air
Cause I got some rhythm to spare

We all swing high, swing low
Everybody rockin’ to and fro
It ain’t fast or slow
But Oh that - glory haluluja
Swing that thing
make the river bottom ring and swing
Hush my mouth that’s the south rampart street parade

(interlude)
Every guy’s got a girl
The town’s gonna whirl
Tonight’s a jamboree, mister
And if you come along
and join in the song
hey dad! Not bad! I’m glad
you dig hey boy

That band is grand
Everybody in the land’s on hand
They demand that brand of handy dandy dixieland
The way they play
makes a body want to sway all day
hush my mouth that’s the south rampart street parade.

I hear that trombone, lah dee ah dee ah
That shiny trombone, lah dee ah dee ah
Everybody’s doing mighty fine as they march along
I love to hear the sound of that Creole song

Hear now, lah dee ah dee ah
It’s loud and clear now Lah dee ah dee ah,
I always get a thrill, I know I always will
whenever I can hear the music of a - band

Way down yonder in the cane brake
You can hear the music they make
Playing loud until the day break
Louisiana band, gotta get a hand,
South Rampart Street parade.

Have fun trying to match up the words with all of the strains (four or more)
to the song!

Cheers,

Bill "If you find any corrections let me know" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.cm