[Dixielandjazz] Re: Interesting little link -- was:Re: Rampart Street Parade, lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 2 15:11:02 PDT 2006

Dear Craig,
That story was published by my mate John Chilton in his wonderfully
researched 1983 book 'Stomp Off, Let's Go' - The Story of Bob Crosby's Bob
Cats and Big Band', so I have absolutely no reason to doubt it. John says
that the tune was Ray Bauduc's idea, but he needed Bob Haggart to write it
down for him. Which he did, on a tablecloth in a New York hotel at the end
of a job. They had to take the tablecloth home to study and work on further.
The New Orleans' club was called The Bulls' Society, Aid and Pleasure Club.
John Chilton doesn't mention the Decca A&R man's input on the title, but I
don't doubt that either. Record company studio execs wielded great power in
those days. But, unlike the current crop, certainly knew the business.
Kind regards,
Bill.