[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rampart Street Parade, lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 1 17:09:44 PST 2006

Dear Brian (and DJMLers),
Your email, dated 31/3/06 came through last might (1/4/06).
No message, just the Subject line: Rampart Street Parade, lyrics.
I assume that you want them.
Bob Haggart wrote the music and I believe that Steve Allen contributed the
lyrics in the 1950s.
I seem to recall that we went through this on the DJML some years back, but
nothing has turned up in a file search.
(I lost about 3 months' emails in a crash a couple of years back, so
Murphy's Law says that it was in that lot!)
I have been unable to find the lyrics, for (apart from a couple of obscure
European bands) and the following, they do not appear to have appeared on
record.

Bing Crosby with The Andrews Sisters acc by an Orchestra directed by Matty
Matlock: Red Nichols, c; Charlie Teagarden, t; Ted Vesely, tb; Matty
Matlock, cl, Jack Chaney, as; Walter Weschler, p; Perry Botkin, g; Country
Washburne, tu; Morty Corb, sb; Nick Fatool, Irv Cottler, d.
Los Angeles. 5 September 1952
L6870-A    South Rampart Street Parade    De 28419, MCA CD 11503

It was reissued on a Broadway Intermission LP (BR-142) which I do not have.
The MCA reissue is a 2CD set of the complete Bing/Andrews Sisters Decca
recordings, released in 1996, and currently unavailable.
If any listmate has an mp3 of the above, I would be quite happy to
transcribe the words.
Kind regards,
Bill.