[Dixielandjazz] ' gigs'

iVOR jONES BANJONES at SAPO.PT
Fri Sep 30 14:28:43 PDT 2005

Unlike Kash, we haven't been playing for 38 years, just 2 years 8 months, a
five piece line up, reeds, piano, trombone/tuba, banjo,drums, plus lady
singer, we average, like Kash, 12 gigs a month, a couple of decent ( well
paying) residencies, council concerts, jazz festivals, private parties,
weddings. So far 10 booked in for October. We rehearse, to put in new
numbers, once a week on average. It is no secret that we have spent some
time on publicity, As a retired graphic designer I have put together a
ringbound 10 page brochure with bios, pic,etc. It takes me about 20 minutes
or so to put one together, over the last year I have made around 80, work it
out. Our vocalist was in marketing and together we identify possible venues
and clients, mostly hotels and resorts. The other four guys are pro
musicians, all read and all contribute arrangements, well  I lied, the
drummer just arranges his drums, but we are all pros when it comes to our
individual responsibilities. We live in the Algarve. A holiday area. A phone
call to name the entertainment manager, a call to him. Send them a brochure
plus a CD and a list of previous venues for gigs, all over Portugal and some
in Spain. They are normally impressed. Arrange a meeting and try to sell
ourselves. Today the guy ( first meeting ) from the Penina Hotel and Golf
Course (venue for next years Portuguese Open) booked us in for 3 gigs, and
all being well, a summer residency for 2006. We also send out invitations to
selected possible future employers to come to our gigs. I follow up the
local news for possible events. We have a good reputation for reliability,
entertainment value and humour.We are fast becoming established, but
certainly we will keep on working to get as much publicity as we can at our
stage of our development as a band. It has been hard work but it is starting
to get easier, we are now being approached for gigs. I suppose all of this
is to emphasise that you do have to work at it. We only go out as a complete
band, there are no egos, and no leaders, and we are not cheap, we do not
play for peanuts. But we do have a bloody good time.

Sorry if I've bored everybody.

Ivor in drought ridden Portugal