[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Refugee Project having success in Phoenix

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Fri Sep 30 09:20:07 PDT 2005

The work goes on........the following is from Bart Saltzman:

Joe Hopkins

Russ named the project, and they are refugees per Webster dictionary
definition. (I know that's a hot potato).   I have email to treasurer  for talley of
funds raised, but we have raised  around $9,000. and yes,  much has gone to
Treme guys.  JIA  (Jazz N' AZ) is in process of  cutting checks for $2,000 to
cover hotel bills (Chandler Hosp donated $1500 of  bill), already paid them $600
in performance fees, and will be paying for condo  rent for three months,
assuming we raise enough more money...two condos are  $1800/mo for 6 guys.   now
they need beds, some furniture (a lot has  been donated) , dress suits/sport
jackets, and JIA jia will also be paying  $1000/mo rent for van (got wholesale
Avis rental price $27/day plus taxes for  new 7 passenger van,)unless we find
a sponsor or couple cars  donated.

spoke to Irvin Mayfield , and his quartet will play in major fundraiser
where we hope to raise another $25,000 (auction/raffles/sponsors) in late
Nov/Early Dec.  mtg with Center for the Perfrorming Arts on Fri am to  see if we can
use that venue or will move it maybe to Hamilton HS.

Bart

in a message dated 9/28/2005 9:42:42 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,