[Dixielandjazz] FW: gigs

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 29 12:32:56 PDT 2005

Tom Wiggins wrote:

>I do play gigs and so does Steve Barbone, and Jim Kash..........Tom Wiggins

Tom, I don't think my name can come into this discussion about pushing for
gigs, as I just happen to be in a band that has been together a very long
time in a very small area.  Our name & good music carries us through.  For
this, I daily count my blessings, and we are content with the work we have.

I do not promote the band as such, nor do I call anyone for gigs.  I have,
over the years, made the occassional "suggestion" while having dinner or
drink at a place, that maybe the band would be good for business, but that
is the extent of my delivery.

That, then, brings us to the crux of Mike Vax's original message, that
constant reminders by some on the list that things should be done this way
or that may not fit the mold of others, the way they work or where they
work, therefore it is meaningless and boring to read over & over.

I really don't like to look at my gigging with the band as a business.  I
have enough of that during the day!  The band is a perfect escape valve,
rather than a business.  If it's not that way for others, that's fine, but
it's up to each one to decide how & why he handles his music the way he
does.

Jim