[Dixielandjazz] Early recordings, time, tempos, etc

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Sep 28 14:26:34 PDT 2005

Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote:

>In reply  to my question regarding tempos and length of recordings for 78s,
>Zeke  wrote the following:

Ted Weems used Heartaches as a "stretcher." The band could play it for
long or for short needs. All Orm Downes needed to do was canbge some of
the traps he used on drums to make it a whole new sounds, and the
reddeds would swtich from clar to sax, or the brass would play a
staccoto muted and then play full note sound open. Idicently, because
the tune, actually recored twice befroe WW2 is often thought of as Ted's
theme song,
there theme song was a rather haunting "Out of the Night," and  usually
had a little Elmo Tanner  whistling in it. Becasue soem  DJ played it
innthe 50's, people thought it was a great "new" tune, and record sales
put Ted Back into the full time bandleader business. Unfortunately he
never  got any oryalties for that '30's re-issue because there were no
royalty agreements like those that had been since it was first recorded.
I was on the Weems band in '54 and '55, and Jack Hanna was on drums for
part of that span. Fine drummer, real character, nice  guy.

Don Ingle