[Dixielandjazz] Steve Barbone and gigs

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 22:24:57 PDT 2005

Most of you know that I agree with most of Steve's insights and feelings
about OKOM and even more modern forms of jazz.  So, Steve, this message is  going
to be a little bit of a departure for me.
I must admit that sometimes I get a little tired of you're telling us that
we don't do it "right" as far as promoting jazz music.  You have set up a
wonderful arena for yourself over many years in a certain area and it really
works well for you.
BUT - out in the real world of the rest of this country, gigs are hard to
find.  You make it sound like we either don't even try, or we are too inept  to
be the "booking guru" that you are.
Well, I know of LOTS of bandleaders and musicians who do try to get as many
gigs as they can, but their whole year wouldn't add up to one month of your
schedule. (or maybe even less)  They do what local advertising they can,  they
even play free bees (which I hate) sometimes to try to get into more  places.
The reality out in the real world is not what you talk  about.  Many places
and people do NOT want to pay even bare minimum wages  for musicians to
perform.
You have talked about old people's homes hiring your band......
 I know for a fact that there are many old people's homes out here on  the
West Coast that have NO budget for entertainment.  They rely on friends  and
relatives to come and perform for free for their tenants.  In some  cases, some
of the tenants still play a little and that is the entertainment  that they
have.
You talk about booking in schools that are willing to pay you to be  there.
Well, in California, many schools have almost no budget for  ANYTHING to do
with music any more.  They can't afford to buy new  instruments or in some cases
even new music.  How would they pay a band to  come and entertain?  Also,
many schools out here have NO assemblies what so  ever, any more.
I book the Kenton Alumni Big Band every year on a tour of high schools and
colleges. It gets harder and harder every year.  And -- that is with  donations
to our nonprofit that allow me to keep the cost of the band lower than  the
other "road" big bands.
My big band in the bay area does a concert series at a wonderful  theater.
We have a mailing list of 1400 people who SIGNED UP to be on  it.  We are lucky
to get more than 200 people.  Again, the musicians  and guest artists are
paid by donations to our nonprofit.
I could go on and on, with examples, but I think you get the picture.
You know that I respect you and I applaud you for what you have been able  to
do for many years, but please don't say that it is "our own fault" that the
music doesn't have as big an audience as it used to.  Many of us are trying
our best.
OK - I got that one off my chest and I hope we are still friends!
Mike Vax