[Dixielandjazz] Steve Barbone and gigs

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 10:16:17 PDT 2005

Hi Mike:

You brought up some excellent points, however I would like to jump in
here and say that for many bandleaders "Their Best is just not good
enough" often because they simply do not work as hard as guys like you
and Steve and Myself to book and run their bands like a business.

There are friends of mine in OKOM that often make comments about our
marketing skills, and the fact that many OKOM bands or leaders just
don't have them,  well they should try harder at getting them and they
could do a lot more in spreading the music and opening new doors for
live performances and paid gigs.

Opportunity knocks everyday but we have to get up and answer the door,
and if it does not knock by 12:00 NOON WE HAVE TO GO LOOK FOR A DOOR TO
KNOCK ON. :))

Yes many schools have cut or disposed of their budgets for music all
together, but that should not stop us from performing at schools,  Some
of them do not have assemblies because NOBODY is going to them with a
program to stage one,  Bands need to Go knock on the door and don't
take NO for an answer.   Find out who is in charge of the PTA / Music
Club etc, and organize a fundraiser show WITH them rather than just try
to get them to hire your band.   Split the take 50%50  they can and
will get the word out to all the families in the school to come support
the event.   Let the kids in for free,  Set up an assembly and play for
the kids, send them all home with a flyer about the concert you want to
do with it clearly understood that the KIDS get in Free with paid
parents.   When the parents show up and they will if you invite them
and reach out with a message about how important music is for their
kids etc,  you can sell them CDs and T-Shirts and solicit further
donations for assembly program funding, that you can use for MATCHING
FUNDS programs, to keep creating gigs and opportunities to play and pay
your band.

If musicians don't pick up the torch and go make it happen as a
priority within the schools you can bet the administration is certainly
not going to do it in many or most schools.    Take a look at what the
Athletic departments and Sports organizations are doing,  they are dong
the same thing but doing it more often and better than music minded
folks.

We are supposed to be CREATIVE PEOPLE,  well get out there and create
for crying out loud.   I do it every day, and 90% of all my gigs come
 from me going after them, there are plenty of good gigs out there for
good bands, and some of the guys on this list know it because they have
filled in and subbed and even been added on my gigs and paid well just
because I could create another gig for a player.    Sure I could cut
the band down to a five or six piece band and make a lot more money for
myself, but I refuse to diminish the authenticity of my show and would
rather hire and pay four or five more good players on every gig and
keep the interest high for additional bookings which come from every
gig we play.

It really boils down to effort Mike,  You and Steve and I as well as
some other bandleaders on the list do put in the time, but there are
still many who do not, and Steve is always preaching to the choir about
it in the hopes to inspire others to do likewise.

If we all went out on the battlefield every day for a year we could
actually win this war, but if we don't the inferior bands will continue
to undercut our prices and show quality until nobody will want an OKOM
band.

Rockers have a much harder time getting paid gigs than we do folks,
even though you see them all over TV, try playing in their circuit for
a week,  with five bands on the same show trying to fill a bar and if
each band can't bring in 20 people they can't get a split of the door,
which is usually padded with their guest list of free admissions anyway
just to get somebody to listen to them.

At least we have people willing and able to listen to our music, we
just need to go take it to them.

Those folks who don't WANT to pay Musicians, need to be educated that
MUSICIANS are people Too with Rent/mortgages ( the lucky ones)
insurance, dental needs, health needs, gasoline expenses, telephone
bills, water bills, electric bills and all the other things that those
NORMAL folks have to pay for.

Musicians need to stop being WIMPS and go fight back Every time you see
an add for a DJ needed, bust their chops and convince them that they
need to hire live music and then tell them all the reasons why it is
better and not any more expensive,  WHAT YOU SAY  not more expensive.
Yeah That';s what I said   Check out what DJ's are charging for
Weddings and parties guys, most of them make three times what many of
you are charging or being paid by Trad. Jazz gigs, now whose fault is
that?

Here is a freebie for all of you:

If you have a computer you can find gigs everyday of the week.   For
example goo to www.craigslist.com   and look under classifieds for
MUSICIANS  hello   there are gig opportunities posted there every day
of the week, some good and some bad but situations nevertheless check
em out for your city  you might be surprised.     Also look under
EVENTS  and you can find plenty of leads from folks who are willing to
hire bands, but not if they don't know you exist or how to find you,
You gotta go find them.

Well enough on this sermon:

Back to booking another International tour and expanding the
marketplace for my band.
They still say an Apple a Day keeps the Doctor away.   well usually
unless he plays in an OKOM band for short money on his days off.

I say book  a gig a day to keep the RE-PO man away.  :))

Cheers, and come out fightin'

Tom Wiggins