FW: [Dixielandjazz] Early recordings, time, tempos, etc

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Sep 28 01:21:35 PDT 2005

Relating to modern days........

It only makes sense that the tunes were set up to last the desired time.  We
had to do that just the other day to record two songs for a tv show (on
Spanish tv tonight).

It went like this:
"Right, the chorus lasts xxx time at this tempo, so we have time for two
solos...you & you.  Let's do it., and on the second tune, New Orleans, we
take the tempo a little faster than usual.  Understood?"

It happens now, it happened then.

Anyway, I daresay that a sideman would care or notice any of this going on,
particularly in a big band.  He needs to know the time of the gig & how much
bread there is.  I know, I did nothing but sessions for about 20 years!  We
didn't even know for who (whom?) the music was for most of the time.  The
voice would be added later, and you never saw the artist, or cared!

"What time, how much bread?"

Jim