[Dixielandjazz] Where was the jazz?

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 27 04:25:22 PDT 2005

All the other clubs on the main drag in the French
Quarter had screaming guitars and pounding drums. >>

Hi there,
 I found the same thing. The only jazz was in a hotel for Sunday brunch
which we were able to attend because we fell in with a Ken Colyer tour from
the UK and I knew one of them from  a jazz club at home.

In fact had we not met the Ken Colyer group we would have departed NO as my
wife was scared stiff by the police insisting that we were passed from
street corner to street corner under police protection all the way from
Bourbon St to our hotel.

Twenty years before that there was jazz in every bar, kids buck and wingin`
in the streets. It was still pretty wild but one didn`t feel threatened.

Cheers

Pat