[Dixielandjazz] Where was the jazz?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 21:59:13 PDT 2005

Hey folks:

The same place that Country Music hides in Nashville, Tenn,   On the
road way out of town,  Nobody makes any money to speak of in their home
town as a local act.   Familiarity breeds contempt.  In music too.

N.O. Has kept up the image of the legend to attract tourism as does
Nashville billing itself as "Music City USA"  but all the music moved
to Branson, MO. years ago, and don't be looking for anything hit in
Jazz in Kansas City anymore either.

The problem folks is that we all quit traveling years ago on a regular
basis to all these places so the joints that supported the scenes dried
up and faded away leaving only the myths permeated thru songs about
another place another time.

New Orleans has long been a Mecca for musicians seeking the truth of
yesteryear, but most of them found the same thing there as they had at
home, low paying gigs and big dreams being fulfilled for a resume so
they could say they played on Bourbon Street, and impress folks who had
never been there to see what it had deteriorated to if indeed it was
really ever anything more even in the good old days.   I think many of
us tend to still dramatize and imagine that it was really more than
just another juke joint bar with a band crammed in the corner.   we
keep reaching for our youth when we were quite naive and impressionable
not to mention often inebriated while searching for the truth.   Me
thinks we all too often kidded ourselves into believing that it was a
lot more glamorous than it ever really was.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins