[Dixielandjazz] Where was the jazz?

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 16:03:01 PDT 2005

I am amazed at all the posts during the last weeks about jazz and musicians
in New Orleans. Steve's post about the return of the jazz scene leads me to
ask,  "Where was the jazz scene about 25 years ago? My spouse and I traveled
there  with the sole intention of hearing hot jazz. I think we hit the Famous
Door and  Preservation Hall. All the other clubs on the main drag in the French
Quarter had screaming guitars and pounding drums. The waiter came over before
we  were even seated at the "Door" to take a drink order, and kept coming back
even  though we hadn't half finished out first drink-

The host at our motel warned us not to leave the well lit main street
(Bourbon?) as it wasn't safe for tourists. I recall driving down canal Street at
midnight with the windows rolled up and the AC on full, it was so hot. All
considered, I was not impressed with the music scene in the Big Easy. What I  have
read and heard since has not changed my opinion.

I read an article in U.S. News and Report recently in which a long time
resident of the city who formerly ran a recording studio there said the jazz
funerals had degenerated into drunken parties.and that a city parade permit was
now required. And then there was the brick-in-the-mouth suffered by Al  Hirt,
which almost ended his playing career., and some of the social clubs  refused
to parade any more due to racial troubles.

Guys, has there been a renaissance in N.O. these last few decades? Seems
most of  the musicians mentioned recently were playing somewhere else when  the
big water came. Did I miss something on that ill fated trip 25 years ago?
Where was the jazz hiding?

  Ted