[Dixielandjazz] Re: Cryogenic treatment for brass

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Sep 25 10:36:11 PDT 2005

Hal --Tempering is a little different in steel.  Steel is first heated,
depending on the steel, to about 2000 degrees or to the point a magnet won't
stick to it and then quenched in either oil, water or air.  (yes there are
air quenched steels) and that makes them very hard but also brittle.  Te
tempering process is where the steel is re heated to between 400-600 degrees
F. for a period of time depending on its mass and alloy and then cooled.
Steel goes through color changes  from blue to straw color and is used to
gauge the temperature.  After tempering, the steel comes out tough as well
as hard.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about brass and it's properties except that
it is entirely different than steel.  Brass can become work hardened and has
to be heated to soften it again but that sums up about everything I know
about brass and it's properties.  I guess it's like every other metal and
depends on it's alloy.

I thought that this process was to relieve stresses and since brass behaves
differently than steel could this have an effect?  I think I agree with both
of you on this one but I have never seen it done.  What was the result if
any?

Larry
St. Louis