[Dixielandjazz] Sousaphones and tubas

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Sep 25 09:42:18 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/25/2005 8:36:42 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

The  Sousaphones remind me of something I swear I saw years ago but nobody
else  I know remembers it.  Does anybody remember a band sometime around  the
late '60s or early '70s that had a brass section consisting of  something
like 8 tubas and/or Sousaphones?  I think the name was  something like
substructure.

There was also a GREAT group for about ten years, called The
Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort.  It was unbelievable to hear, both on  recordings and
even more-so live.
John Allred played on the group for a while. Ashley Alexander played  before
he died. Buddy Baker was there too. Plus others. It was  led by Rich Matteson
and Harvey Phillips.  It consisted of Tubas and  Euphoniums and a Killer
rhythm section that did change personnel  sometimes.  (Some were: Tom Ferguson -
piano, Dan Hearly - piano, Ed Soph -  Drums, Jack Petersen - Guitar, Opps -
forget the bass.)
Great playing and great arrangements, mostly by Rich Matteson and Jack
Petersen.
Mike Vax