[Dixielandjazz] Re: Cryogenic treatment for brass - more

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Sep 25 09:36:01 PDT 2005

I know a lot about metals also (I taught metalworking at a High school) and
was somewhat skeptical.  I think that freezing was a fad about five or six
years ago (maybe longer) and that some musicians were having it done mainly
to brass instruments.  I  saw an ad for it a couple of days ago on the net
while looking for a particular horn and that raised the question.  I just
never heard one way or another if it did anything.  I could see that it
would cause all your corks and pads to pop but probably wouldn't harm a
trumpet much..

I was just wondering if anyone had had it done on any instrument and what
the results were.  I wonder what effect gold plating the inside of the necks
of saxes would do other than prevent pitting and possibly minimize gunk
buildup.  I don't know if I could even tell if anything wax changed.  Again
I was wondering if anyone had it done.

Sometimes we as musicians think that something is great but really isn't.
Right now Mark VI alto saxes are going for $2375 - $4700 on e-bay which
means true believers still exist.
Thanks for your input

Larry Walton
St. Louis