[Dixielandjazz] Origin of "Big Easy"

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Sep 24 18:11:12 PDT 2005

I think Hal nailed it, but there is a lot of controversy.

Barry Popik refers to New Orleans historian Blake Pontchartrain who
publishes a very interesting column in the Gambit Weekly newspaper (now
online) - fine reading!
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2002-04-09/blake.html

I guess they have not been publishing for a while...

  more at http://www.barrypopik.com/article/582/big-easy

Personally, I never heard the term until after the movie came out...

Dave Richoux