[Dixielandjazz] Origin of "Big Easy"

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sat Sep 24 17:53:53 PDT 2005

As far as I have been able to figure it out - the term could have been
coined by the title of a movie that was done in the 1980s.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092654/plotsummary

it was pretty bad but the lead character's "house" was actually owned
by someone I knew and it had her copy of the poster of the 1977
JazzFest hanging in the kitchen. I have seen that same poster in about
10 kitchens, including mine. ( http://www.art4now.com/jpost77.htm )

I do find this - possibly/probably true -
http://www.crescentcity.com/dictionary.htm
> This is an euphemism for New Orleans, like the "Crescent City," that
> is attributed to Betty Guillaud, a gossip columnist for the Times
> Picayune, in the '70s as a term of endearment and an answer to the
> then I Love New York City hype. If it's the "Big Apple" then New
> Orleans is the "Big Easy," where everything is slower, simpler and
> easy-going.

and http://www.barrypopik.com/article/582/big-easy

David Richoux  (and my father grew up just outside new Orleans in the
'30s and the local term for the city back then was "stay away from
there - nothin' but trouble! )