[Dixielandjazz] FW: sounds of the twenties

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Fri Sep 23 20:29:39 PDT 2005

Bill,

I keep thinking I read something about Walter Johnson, who played drums for
several years with Fletcher Henderson, having something to do with the
invention of the high hat, but I have no idea whether I really did read that
or if I'm confusing this with something else.  Or maybe I'm thinking of
Walter Johnson who pitched from the 1900s to the 1920s with the American
League Washington Senators....

The drums discussion has been interesting for me because my dad used to
supplement his income by playing drums on Saturday nights.  ("I'm not a
musician.  I'm a drummer.")  He didn't have the bass with a landscape, but
it was a whole lot bigger than the ones they use now.  But he did have a
high hat.

Hal