[Dixielandjazz] Re: Are there lyrics for 'Algiers Strut'?

Don jdrobertson at att.net
Fri Sep 23 19:12:30 PDT 2005

Hi Guys,

The only lyrics I ever heard for Algiers Strut were written and sung by
the late Joe Bithel, leader and washboard player with the Silicon Gulch
Jazz Band, here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Joe loved to sing, and
if the tune didn't have words, he would write them.  Sadly, Joe died of
a heart attack last winter, having just finished singing with a jam
group at a house party.

I remember hearing him sing Algiers Strut at Sacramento a couple of
years ago with Uptown Lowdown from Washington.  He asked leader Bert
Barr if he could sit in and sing.  When It was over Bert said "I didn't
know Algiers Strut had words".  Joe replied "it does 'cause I wrote
'em".  Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA