[Dixielandjazz] Re: Are there lyrics for 'Algiers Strut'?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 23 17:16:22 PDT 2005

Dear Aad,
So far I know, there are no lyrics to the Kid Thomas Valentine tune "Algiers
Strut".
If there were, I am sure that he would have sung them on at least one of his
recorded versions.
However, what may have prompted your question is that a Dutch group recorded
it with a vocal credit given in the listing!

"Algiers Strut"
Circus Square Jazz Band
Jan van Hulten (cnt) Noel Poyck (tb,vcl) Jan van Gaalen (cl)
Bert Janssen (p) Joop Dings (bj) Paul Zelders (tu) Paul Beljaars (d)
Live "Hotel Florida", Boskoop, April 23, 1977
    Algiers strut (np,ens vcl)              Cat (Du)LP-19
    Chimes blues       -

Perhaps it is a 'scat' vocal.
Apart from this one example, none of the versions of the tune, listed in my
discographies, contain a vocal.
"Algiers Strut" is very popular with Australian New Orleans-style bands and
several of the musicians from these groups will sing "at the drop of a hat".
If there were lyrics to it one of these self-styled vocalists would have
sung them in my presence, at some time, over the years.
Kind regards,
Bill.