[Dixielandjazz] "Sixty Women Rip Mask Off Vice"

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 11:48:58 PDT 2005

on 9/23/05 11:09 AM, Texasjazzlover at res0a3qw at verizon.net wrote:

> NOT my grandparents.  NOR my parents, who married in 1923.  "Flappers" were
> not approved of in their  circle.   I wasn't "brought up" on jazz.. Just
> learned to love the music of the 20's and 30's in the past 7 or 8 years.
>
> Rebecca Thompson
> Flower Mound, TX

Well, maybe not, but then in the words of one of our jazz forebear's, "One
never knows do one?" :-) VBG.

The history of this music we both love includes large doses of sex and
booze. When we play at upscale retirement complexes, we are often surprised
at the very classy ladies who tell us about their escapades at the Cotton
Club, or the Savoy Ballroom, or some of the "forbidden" clubs in Harlem.

These ladies are the cream of "polite society" who also managed to sow a few
wild oats unbeknownst to the parents as well as their descendants.

Cheers,
Steve