[Dixielandjazz] sounds of the twenties

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Sep 23 05:00:58 PDT 2005

Two quotes from other members:

There was a Hawaiian scene
painted on the bass drum with a light bulb inside that blinked behind the
moon.>>

quite often there was also  a hula girl with a beaded skirt which shook when
the bass pedal was used..

I actually experienced that very same drum (!) when I sat in once with
Johnny St. Cyr (banjo).  The drummer played a bass drum (huge) with that
exact scene on it, and a light bulb inside, and the shaky skirt bit.
Whatalaugh!

Many times now they tend to have the front skin cut away, and you can see
old pillows & junk the drummer has thrown inside to try to deaden the sound.
Our drummer is more sane, and has a full skin that just says Yamaha on it!
:>

Jim