[Dixielandjazz] Creation and Re-creation

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 20 14:35:06 PDT 2005

I agree with Mike but there is another dimension  when dealing with playing
the older OKOM from the 30's back and that is style.  Recreating the sound
and style of 30's and earlier music by a modern musician is difficult
because we swing and newer styles creep into our solos both recreated or
jazz.  Recreating or originating early jazz styles and solos even if they
are your own and pure jazz will often sound corny or dated.  What happens is
guys start filling in with other licks, more "modern" scales and the flavor
is lost.  Listen to drummers, very few do it right.  They invariably start
to swing and their drums and cymbals just aren't the same so the right sound
isn't there.  If you don't mind this then I guess it's ok.  My point is that
it is difficult to do something that you didn't grow up with and almost none
of us were musicians during that era.

It's like learning a language.  My son who has lived in Germany for 20 years
and speaks the language fluently still sounds like an American because he
didn't grow up with it. My granddaughter while fluent in English will always
sound like a German.  Musical Style and licks are like that.

I'm not sure very many really want to recreate the styles and sounds exactly
because they sound dated to modern ears.
Larry
St. Louis